Saturday, April 15, 2017

Character Design

I find character design one of my most favorite part of making fantasy art. The genre allows for so much customization that an artist is allowed to let their imagination run wild with possible accessories and accoutrement.

Sometimes I have very little descriptions of the character to go on for a commission, and honestly too little is oftentimes more helpful than too much, as it allows me to design a character from the ground up. Take this description I was given for a Female Half Elf Barbarian. "She is about 5'4'', light skin with long braided hair. She travelled with a tribe of shaman that have the wolf as their spirit animal, so she wears pelts and things like that. Her weapons at the moment are a brass knuckle that she made and a wolfs claw fashioned onto a leather glove as a broad claw type weapon. "

This is a great description as it tells me a lot about the character but allows me to run wild with possibilities. This is the portrait I made from that description.


This character is sexy and sleek but is still very much a barbarian.

Here is another great character description. "115y/o Wood Elf Druid, 5'8", 115lb, hazel eyes, copper-tan skin, dark brown hair (almost black), leather armor, quarterstaff, raven scull work on a bit of leather around the neck (druidic focus), badger pelt worked into the armor/weapon if possible."

Here is the portrait.


And another "He's a blue Dragonborn Tempest Cleric of Talos, with lightning etched plate armor. Currently rocking the sword and board. I just like the Lightning theme of the character between his powers and breath weapon. Unlike your normal Dragonborn he has a tail."

This is the character portrait that has gotten the most attention for me, in fact, if you Google Dragonborn Cleric this portrait is the top image. I'm number 1! 


So remember, if you're ever commissioning artwork, live your artist lots of room to play around with. You'll get better artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Character Design

I find character design one of my most favorite part of making fantasy art. The genre allows for so much customization that an artist is all...